• Resting Place of the Wandering Jew

The Wandering Jew started life in 1866 as an iron paddle steamer, originally called Riverina, built by J. Duncan and Partner in Echuca. She had a turbulent life and was burnt out on three recorded occasions! On the 2nd April 1883, the vessel was burnt to the waterline. Subsequently rebuild and re-registered by November 1890, the vessel was renamed “Wandering Jew”, after her former Jewish owner, a Mr Burger.

Further fire damage occurred on the 11th May 1898 and was again repaired. On the 15th December 1914, the Wandering Jew burnt again, this time at Brewarrina and was a total loss. The wreckage of the Wandering Jew is located just above the weir. Her remains can be seen when the river is at a very low level, last visible in early 2020, approximately 100 metres upstream from the weir.

The “Jew” as she was known, held the record from Walgett to Brewarrina and back, loaded both ways, a trip of 5 and a half days. An average load of wool on the Wandering Jew was 27 tons, with barges sometimes carrying up to an additional 80 tons. The Wandering Jew is recorded as the last steamer to reach Walgett in 1912.